Evangelical lyceum

The existence of the first town school in Kežmarok dates back to the years 1383-1392 /Latin school at the Holy Cross church/. Lyceum was built during the years 1774-1776. The extension of the building for two more floors gave the Lyceum current look /1820-1865/. After the reformation, yet in the year 1531, the school got the character of an evangelical grammar school. The academic classes were open in the years 1787-1852, together with the former school at the departments of philosophy, law and theology. The academic classes made the character of Lyceum and only a degree from the Lyceum allowed one to study at the university.
Many at the Lyceum in Kežmarok performed their profession, honored scientists educated the students from the whole central Europe. Many of them are known as reputable artists, scientists and writers of German, Slovak, Hungarian and Serbian nationality and it was a sign of the tolerance and outspokenness of this school. Many of well known personalities can document this, for example: Fröhlich, Buchholz, Šafárik, Hviezdoslav, Alexander, Genersich, Medňanský, Kazinczy and others.
The library in the Lyceum is the biggest school library in central Europe. Contains 150 000 titles in different languages, most of them are in German. There are also precious and significant incunables /from the time before the year 1500/ and incunabulum from the 16th century /Luther’s bible, Melanchton’s manuscripts and many others/.

Photos:

Evangelical lyceum

Information

If needed any details and/or further information about the sightseeings, monuments, prices, accommodation etc., please contact tourist agency

e-mail: info@kezmarok.sk,
tel.: +421/(0)52/449 21 35

Ako často navštevujete mesto Kežmarok?

Dotazník

Audioguide

Audioguide

Videoklip

Videoklip Kežmarok 2015

EĽRO

Európske ľudové remeslo

Kalendár kultúr. podujatí

Promotional brochures